Miriam Burgess Outdoor September 07th, 2018 - 18:06:34
I first thought to make a new roof line going underneath this one, however, very quickly decided that it would look much nicer if I were able to tie into this existing roof line and just Slightly change the pitch, so in order to do that, I first had to tear off a few of the shingles, the existing fascia board, a little bit of the decking as well as this 2x4 that was blocking the end of the rafter tails, and that way I have access to all of these rafter tails, so I can tie my new roof line into this existing one, but that demo work done.
I then started working on setting my pose and I first try to use my drill on the hammer drill setting. However, this concrete is so difficult to get through. I ended up renting a corded hammer drill instead now it's kind of difficult to see, but I did pull a chalk line so that I could make sure that all four of my post brackets were going to be in an absolute straight line where these posters setting The ground is actually on a slight slope, so what I ended up having to do was set the post in place with it still long, and then I would set it at level and ask my husband to come and mark the top of the brackets, and this gave me the exact angle that I needed to cut the post at, but with the post being so thick and also it being an angled cut.
I couldn't use my circular saw so I resorted to using a hand saw to make these cuts. Next, I moved up to the top, so I can start working on cutting out the notch that will hold the 2 by 8 header.I plan to use and to make this notch I use my circular saw just to make multiple cuts in the area that I needed chipped out, so that afterwards I could use a hammer to break it all loose after breaking all of the pieces. As I came back with a chisel just to make the surface a little bit more smooth, then from there I was able to cut the post to its final height. Making three cuts with the circular saw then having to finish it off with the Hansel, and that is one post complete. So now I can set it in place and attach it to its bracket. I went to the bottom and attached it with so few screws and then repeated the process for the other posts.
Now, of course, the ground here is not level so to make sure that all the posts come out to be the exact same height. I would set the two by eight header into place: have one person hold the next post plumb while another person held it up until it was perfectly level, then the post could be marked taken down. Then I could repeat the process by cutting the angled bottom. The notch out the top for the two by eight and then cutting it to its final height and attaching it the existing roof line of the shop actually extends past the two outside most posts. So whenever it came time to installing the 2 by 8 header, what I did was set it in place and line it up to be in the center of these second pose and then leave all of the excess hanging off that first post, then for the remaining Headers.
I would just take a measurement from the center of one post to the center of the next making sure to check for plumb on these posts before setting the screws.At this point, I was only worried about making sure the posts were parallel to one another. All right, and then it was on to installing the rafters. I am changing the pitch slightly, because the existing roof line would end up way too steep. I went with a 212 pitch, which is just fine for the shingle material that I'm going with now. This is the point where I was checking for plumb on the inside of the post to make sure that they were parallel with the building and I could attach it to the existing rafter tails with two screws, since I'm going with two by fours.